Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Spanglish and its influence on American English

For my 3rd period class, I was assigned to choose a topic that I felt most comfortable researching. I chose "Spanglish" because I speak both languages and I also use Spanglish in my daily life. Spanglish is a concept that stirs heated controversy, in which this is why I chose it than me knowing the language itself. Overall, this class was great and I learned a lot of the grammar that I didn't know. I am most proud of choosing this topic and learning more why people tend to use both languages in one. The most challenging thing about this class was knowing what words had an accent to it.
___________________________________________________________________________

As I researched, I became more aware that Spanglish is sometimes forced into peoples lives in many ways. Some families might speak one language that might be English, Spanish or any other. In my household my family only speaks and understands Spanish. Growing up, Spanish was my first language and it became even harder for me to communicate in school and with friends that didn't know Spanish. As I learned the American English language, communicating with others was more simple and easy. As I get older I am more fluent in English making it harder for me to switch up when it comes to talking to my family members. Knowing both languages is special because not everyone knows two languages, especially the most common ones.

When you know both languages it becomes a new habit to speak in both and switch words up. I used "Spanglish" in my daily life because that helps me not forget both. It sometimes makes sense to use Spanglish that just one language. When I am around people that know both languages it automatically comes out in Spanglish because you know that person knows both and will still understand you with either language, which is pretty awesome.

The celebrity that I chose for this action project was Jennifer Lopez. Jennifer Lopez is an American singer actor, Fashion designer etc. Lopez considers herself Puerto Rican. In a lot of her songs she sings in both Spanish and English. In Chicago, a lot of advertisements are written in Spanglish like in:


  • McDonald's
  • Taco Bell
  • Hispanic Restaurants 
JR. "Me gusta los fast food restaurants". (2016).

All of these play a huge part in our city. It sort of forces people to understand more than just Spanish or English. I find this very cool that both of these unique languages can be combines together and can still be understood.

1. El Mouse: (The computer mouse)
2. El Parking: (The parking lot)
3. Ella le gusta jugar video games: (She likes to play video games)
4. Me encanta escuchar el radio in my car: (I love to listen to the radio in my car)
5. El se pasa studying todo los dias: (He's always studying all the time)
6. Ella corre su skateboard in la tienda: (She rides her skateboard in the store)
7. Mi cellphone tiene signal: (My cellphone has signal)
8. El pencil me corto: (The pencil cut me)
9. La agua is very cold: (The water is very cold)
10. My mother siempre me da comida: (My other always gives me food)
11. My computer esta muerto: (My computer is dead)
12. Me gusta ir swimming en el verano: (I like to go swimming in the summer)
13. Yo necesito tu help with my homework: (I need your help with my homework)
14. Mi bicicleta es pink y purple: (My bicycle is pink and purple)
15. Mi cuarto es big: (My room is big)
16. El bebe was crying all night: (The baby was crying all night)
17. En la escuela estuve aprendiendo escribir in Arabic: (In school I was learning how to write in Arabic)
18. Me gustan los fruits de Puerto Rico: (I like the fruits from Puerto Rico)
19. El vaso was dirty: (The cup was dirty)
20. Yo no pude durmir porque estaba muy loud afuera: (I couldn't sleep because it was too loud outside)


No comments:

Post a Comment