Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

My Diddley Bow

For this unit called "Sound" we studied about the sound in frequency, wavelengths, amplitude and harmonics. Then the class and I went on a field experience to the Threshold Acoustics we learned more about how the frequency and wavelengths in sound can change with their surroundings. For this action project we were assigned to make a guitar off of recycled materials like a tin can, a piece of wood and a guitar string. What I am most proud of is getting my guitar done on time and having all materials that I need for my guitar. I am also proud of learning how exactly sound travels through a guitar. The most challenging thing was getting my guitar string to tie around the screw. The purpose of this project is to create your own guitar using recycled materials or old scraps from home.

I learned the different parts of a guitar and how it works with the sound when the strings are being played. How the guitar works is the tin can will allow the string to enter and produce the vibration/sound of the string being played. Which bounces inside the tin can producing the sound to come out. My guitar demonstrates these key science principles which are sound waves, wave lengths, frequency and amplitude.

JR. "My Diddley Bow". (2016).

Sound Wave: When the guitar string is being played/touched.
Wave Length: When or how hard you're playing the string.
Frequency: How frequent the sound is when you play the string.
Amplitude: How high the string is moving.

How I found the measurements for my Diddley bow was, I used a ruler in inches. I measured the string which measured in 7 inches. I divided that into harmonics in which I wrote down onto the wood to show where the harmonics are on the Diddley Bow. The thickness of my string is 0.038 inches. The approximate volume of my Diddley bows body is 28.5005 inches cubed. I used pi x r2 x h which I then got pi x 1.44 squared x 4 3/8. Also the approximate wavelength and pitch/ frequency of the four harmonics of my Diddley Bow
JR. "Sketch on Diddley Bow".  (2016).
How the Doppler effect shows on a Diddley bow is with the sound that comes from the string which goes through and enters the can, bouncing off of the can which amplifies as the sound that comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment