Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Murphy On Mars

For this class "Population", The unit From/to was based on the difference characteristics of animals and about natural selection. I was assigned to choose an animal that will be able to live in Mars. While I searched on the Anti-cruelty website, I thought to myself I will need a pet that will be furry and have long legs. As I scrolled down the page of dogs I saw a male dog named Murphy. I picked him because he had a somewhat thick coat and large legs. He is a Terrier/mixed and 9 years old. The purpose of doing this project was to chose an animal that best suits to be in Mars and so I did.

Mars is a planet made up of a iced rocky hard surface all around it. Freezing cold and dusty, it's also the fourth planet from the sun and the second smallest planet in the whole solar system. Mars can also be described as the "Red Planet" with a thin atmosphere.

I made a good and bad list of what is good to have and what's not good to have in a dog in order to survive in Mars. Murphy is a Terrier which means they are typically developed in Great Britain and Ireland. Some Terriers have large legs and bodies which are used for hunting badgers. Long ago, Terriers were crossed with hunting dogs, fighting dogs and others Terriers. They were mostly breed-ed with Hounds which is a type of dog that assists hunters by tracking or chasing the animals being hunted.

Here is old handsome Murphy
Murphy. 2014. Anticruelty.org
As you see here, Murphy has a lots of fur, large legs and medium size body. Which was something I was looking for in a dog. All these great features that Murphy has can really help him live in Mars. Having lots fur can keep him warm, large legs can help him run and heat up his body and from predators, and medium size body can also help because he's not to huge or too small an probably won't get tired fast. What I was not looking in a dog was no fur, short legs and no small body.

I took data from another 15 mixture of dogs on the website and collected all the years and found Murphy's Standard Deviation.

Standard Deviation Data
JR. 2014. "Standard Deviation Data". Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment