Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Order # 12

For this unit of humanities I have learned about industrial foods and how technology is used to create our foods today. For this action project I compared a restaurant meal and a homemade meal with a food review explaining which meal was better, healthier, and which one filled you up faster than the other meal. For the restaurant meal I went with my dad to Mcdonald’s and ordered a chicken sandwich. For the homemade meal I went to the grocery store and bought the items to make my sandwich. I bought white bread, turkey bacon, and chicken patties. I cooked my homemade meal by myself, but I had a hard time cooking the bacon because my oil was too hot. This course “Food for Thought” has impacted me to eat more healthy because the process in which meat was processed made me change my way of eating meat.

Food #1 Restaurant
At the Mcdonald’s on 4338 W. North Ave I ordered a #12 Chicken Ranch BLT Crispy. It was a pure salty meal with a side of salty fries and a cold drink. After awhile, I got used to the taste. While eating, it tasted very delicious had a wonderful smell and nice great texture while grabbing the burger. I could taste the salty and sweet sauce of ranch burst into my mouth, with bits of bacon so crunchy. I could hear myself crunching very loudly inside my head. I loved It. I was full after I ate everything I had ordered. All I smelled was ranch, the sauce that gave it the most flavor.

rsz_screenshot_2014-05-27_at_122428_pm.png
Photography. JR (2014).
Food #2 Homemade
For homemade food, specifically sandwiches, my favorite sandwich flavors are turkey and smoked ham. However for this homemade sandwich, I used white bread, chicken, bacon, pickles, ranch and  honey mustard. My sandwich turned out to be more greasy, salty and less crunchy than the McDonald's BLT version. The amount of ranch and mustard made the bread softer and less appealing to the eye. In addition, the chicken patty was really greasy and not as crunchy. My meal wasn't as tasteful as the McDonald's famous BLT. I personally did not feel full because I did not like the turnout, therefore I did not eat it all.
Photography. J.R. 2014.

The ranch had a lot of ingredients that I have never heard of before and one of them was disodium guanylate. This ingredient is safe to eat and enhances the flavor that ranch dressing has.

Michael Pollan’s 5 transformations described major ways that our diet has changed since the industrial revolution. One of the transformation is from whole foods to refined foods. I chose this transformation to relate to my meals because my Mcdonald’s sandwich was made with white bread which is a refined food. The ingredients that I put in my homemade sandwich were also refined. For example, the dressings were processed because I read the ingredient label on the back and didn’t know what any of the ingredients were.


I recommend the Mcdonald’s chicken sandwich because the bread was less soggy and way tastier. The homemade sandwich that I made was very soggy and just didn't taste the same as the Mcdonald’s chicken sandwich. They were both greasy and also salty. I will definitely have the Mcdonald’s chicken sandwich again.





















No comments:

Post a Comment