Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

What Is freedom?


For my first action project for this course called politics I was assigned to choose a question, interview some friends and family members, and ask for their opinions. My question that I asked was "What Is Freedom?" I chose this question because I thought that It would be very interesting to hear what people's responses were. My topic seemed easy at first, but then it got a little hard trying to write the script. What I learned in this unit was about Socrates and how he lived trying to find someone wiser than he. I learned about his Socratic Method which was the method that Socrates was using for the students he was teaching. It was individual discussions between two people and asking questions. He wanted them to think critically, come up with ideas, and ask questions to the public. The reason why people thought it was bad, was teaching his students about his Socratic Method and teaching them to go out and ask question was uncomfortable for some people. So his students eventually did what his Socratic Method was about and those student’s parents didn't like the fact that their kids were asking them questions and going out to the public and asking people questions. As I interviewed people, I learned that there's more to just freedom than just being free. I heard a lot of responses that were all very great. There  were ones that stood out to me a lot, I liked that everyone had their own definition of freedom.

JR, EGB.  What is freedom video. 2014

Here is my script of the video

Characters:

Haley:Elizabeth (Character 1)
Jordan:Jamilet (Character 2)
Filmed: 2/10/15
Topic: Freedom


Haley: Hey Jordan, how are you?

Jordan: Hey Haley, I am fine how are you?

Haley: That is great Jordan! I am super good.

Jordan: Oh Cool! You seem excited about something. What is it, Haley? Come on, tell me!

Haley: Well, they made a student council group at our school. Which means we will have more freedom. Are you joining? I am.

Jordan: I do not know, do you think that joining will give us more freedom? What is freedom anyway?

Haley: Freedom is to be free, you can do whatever you want. Just join, it will be fun, trust me.

Jordan: Everybody knows that freedom is to be free and have the ability to do whatever you want, but I do not think that joining the group will give you more freedom. Do you think that the students will really be free Haley?

Haley: Yes, Jordan, because the students will not be controlled by a higher power. We will all share our thoughts and we will be able to voice our opinions without negative consequences.

Jordan: Okay, but you can do that independently without being in student council. Do you not have that ability already?

Haley: You are right! But joining will make me feel good and content.

Jordan: Hmm.. Well, if you feel good and content does that make you free?

Haley: Not just feeling good, but the ability to create your own contentedness and goodness, that is freedom.

Jordan: So having the right to create your own contentedness and goodness, that is freedom?

Haley: Well, if they join, they will probably be able to feel the same way. Not only will we have freedom, but we will not be overpowered, we will be able to do what we believe is right. We can do whatever we want without any judgement.

Jordan: Yes! But, do you not have that ability already? Yes, freedom gives you plenty of opportunities but it does not mean you have to join a group to receive more freedom.

Haley: You do have a point, maybe I do not need to...

Jordan: Yes!

Haley: Thank you for helping think through that, Jordan. Now I see I can exercise freedom in more ways than student council.

Jordan: You are welcome Haley! I am glad you understand what freedom is. Bye!

Haley: Bye Jordan!

No comments:

Post a Comment